What is Pediatric Orthopaedics?
Pediatric Orthopaedics is the medical subspecialty focused on evaluating and treating musculoskeletal (bone, joint, or muscle) problems in a child who is still growing. This includes newborn babies through teenagers.
The Region’s Orthopaedic Experts for Children
Children’s Hospital at Erlanger offers comprehensive care for children who have experienced musculoskeletal injury or are living with musculoskeletal deformities — everything from sports-related injuries to scoliosis and limb deformities. As an academic center, we are also involved with groundbreaking research in early detection and treatment of orthopaedic conditions. Our providers are experts in surgical and non-surgical treatments for a range of congenital, developmental, and traumatic conditions including:
- Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Early Onset Scoliosis
- Scheuermann Kyphosis
- ACL Injuries
- Meniscus Tears
- Patella Dislocations/Maltracking
- Hip Dysplasia
- Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI)
- Lower Limb Deformity – Limb Length Discrepancy, Angular Deformities
- Clubfoot and Other Foot Deformities
- Skeletal Dysplasia
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spina Bifida
Orthopaedic Excellence and Innovation
- Let Ours Treat Yours: Dr. Merritt Adams, former Division I athlete and Big 10 champion, has experience treating athletes of all kinds.
- Early Onset Scoliosis: Dr. Robert Quigley is fellowship-trained in spine-growth friendly techniques including scoliosis casting, bracing, and growth-friendly spine surgery- including MAGEC magnetic expandable growing rods.
- Hip Preservation: Our clinic offers adolescents with hip dysplasia and FAI comprehensive hip care with the aim of preventing or delaying hip replacement later in life.
- Clubfoot Clinic: Dr. Wendell Moses' team includes cast technologists and physical therapists specifically trained in Ponseti clubfoot casting methods.
- Specialty Clinics: Dr. Merritt Adams is one of only two female pediatric orthopaedists in the region, leading specialty clinics in scoliosis, fractures, sports injuries, and neuromuscular diseases.
- Orthopaedic Oncology: Dr. Ryan Voskuil is region’s only fellowship-trained orthopaedic oncologist caring for both adult and pediatric patients.
- Trauma Care: Children’s Hospital at Erlanger is the region’s only Comprehensive Regional Pediatric Center (CRPC), functioning at the highest level of pediatric trauma care.
- Child-Friendly Facilities: We offer the region’s only pediatric surgical suites designed exclusively for children.