Neonatology / Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
What is Neonatology?
Children's Hospital at Erlanger
910 Blackford Street
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Neonatology is a pediatric subspecialty that consists of the medical care of newborn infants, especially the ill or premature newborn infant.
The Highest Level of Care for the Region’s Smallest Patients
Children’s Hospital at Erlanger is home to the region’s only Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit – the highest level of care available for critically ill newborns. This means we are a regional NICU with comprehensive services to treat all medical and surgical problems of newborns.
How We Stand Apart
The region’s only NICU providing in-house coverage with board-certified neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners – 24/7, 365 days a year
The regions only NICU offering a full range of onsite pediatric subspecialist support, including four board-certified pediatric general surgeons
The regions only NICU which provides air as well as ground emergency transport from other area hospitals with a dedicated transport team consisting of an NICU registered nurse, a respiratory therapist and a neonatal nurse practitioner
Infant Conditions Treated
- Breathing problems such as apnea, respiratory distress syndrome, air leak syndrome and chronic lung disease
- Intestinal problems such as gastroschisis, omphalocele, atresias and necrotizing enterocolitis
- Heart defects including congenital heart disease, patent ductus arteriosus and arrhythmias
- Low blood sugar
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Brain and neural tube disorders
Neonatal Technology and Innovation
- Newly updated, 58-bed NICU providing around-the-clock Level IV neonatal care
- “Care by Parent” room lets parents care for their child with peace of mind, knowing that the child's vital signs are being monitored at the nursing station
- State-of-the-art neonatal procedures including intubation, umbilical arterial and venous catheter placement, percutaneous intravenous catheter placement, lumbar puncture, thoracentesis, peripheral arterial line placement
From Our Patients