Furniture and Television Tip-Overs
- Mount flat screen TV’s to the wall to reduce the risk of TV’s toppling off stand. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure you have a secure fit.
- If you have a large, heavy, old style cathode TV, place it on a low, stable piece of furniture.
- Use brackets, wall hooks, or wall straps to secure unstable or top heavy furniture to the wall.
- Install stops on dresser drawers to prevent them from being pulled all the way out. Multiple open drawers can cause the weight to shift, making it easier for a dresser to fall.
- Keep heavier items on lower shelves or in lower drawers.
- Avoid placing remote controls, food, toys, or other items in places where kids might be tempted to climb up or reach for them.
- Limit access of smaller children to open stairways.
- Keep stairways clear of objects and never allow running up or down stairways.
All classes and information are free of charge and are designed to promote awareness of and aversion strategies for day-to-day situations that may pose preventable risks to children.