Admissions and Directions
The following applies to pediatric patients (infants, children and adolescents) admitted for inpatient care or procedures at Children’s Hospital at Erlanger. Please note that our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) has special admission procedures and visitor policies tailored to the unique needs of our youngest patients.
Where to park
- Children’s Hospital is best accessed from the ground floor of the main Erlanger/Children’s parking garage (Orange G level). Patients and visitors can pay to park in the garage via payment machines at the end of the pedestrian walkways leading to the hospital; or pay at the parking garage exit gate. Visitors with a handicap permit or HealthLink Plus membership can park in the garage for free by having their parking stub validated at a Patient Information Desk.
- The main entrance into Children’s Hospital is through Children’s Emergency lobby.
- Valet parking is available at the Children’s Emergency Room entrance on Blackford Street between 5 AM – 8 PM. Valet parking is free for individuals with a handicap permit and patients who have validated tickets from their physician’s office. There is a $5 valet charge for all other guests. HealthLink Plus members receive a $3 discount.
What to bring
- Please bring any of the child’s medications from home, if available, so the staff can verify dosage.
- Bring the child’s favorite toy, blanket or comfort item.
- Bring your own personal care items or personal medications.
- We will provide everything else you need to take care of your child
How to admit your child and get an access code (non-intensive care admissions)
- Parents of children being admitted to inpatient rooms must stop at the information desk to obtain an access code for pediatric floors.
- If you are coming from your doctor’s office, our staff has already been notified that your child will be admitted, and we will have a bed ready when you arrive. Please come to the hospital as soon as possible after your doctor has told you that your child will be admitted.
- If it has been longer than four hours since you left your doctor’s office, you may be asked to go through our Emergency Department so that your child can be re-evaluated by a doctor and given immediate care if needed.
- If your child is a direct admit, please report to the information desk in the Emergency Department lobby and inform security you are here for a direct admit. You will be escorted to the 3rd floor nurse’s station.
- For any questions, Children’s Admitting can be reached at 423-778-6500 (ext. 6500)
Your ID band and privacy code
- Once a child is admitted to the inpatient areas, parents/guardians and the patient will be asked to wear a patient ID band. In order to re-enter Children’s from the F elevator, you will be required to use the access phone and show your ID band.
- Parents/guardians will also be given a privacy code which can be used to obtain information about your child or baby. For safety and security do not share this number with others. The Patient Information line for Children’s is 423-778-7811 (ext. 7811)
Getting to your floor
- Use the G elevator to access the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors of Children’s Hospital at Erlanger.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: Take elevator M to the 5th floor and turn right. See special visitation rules and entry instructions for NICU.
- General Pediatric Floors: Take elevator G to the 3rd floor, and report to the nurse’s station. The G elevators will be down the hall on the right, just past the vending machines.
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: Take elevator G to the 4th floor. Turn left off the elevator, and you will see a red phone on the wall. Pick up the phone and it will automatically ring at the nurse’s station in the PICU. The staff will be happy to assist you.